>> NODE+ SENSOR PLATFORM - HACKANODE 2014
Competitions are always fun - here is one to inspire developers into IoT.
Node+ is a wireless sensor platform for mobile devices that has interchangeable
tips that can change the type of information it can read and sense. Variable,
Inc is hosting a IoT mobile application challenge called
where developers are inspired to create applications for the platform for cash
prizes (total of $16,500 USD available).
The competition is open until September 24, 2014 - of course the challenge
of hardware specific competitions is the dependency on hardware itself.
The great news is that they are offering developers access to a NODE+ by
requesting a loan agreement - the best part is you get to keep the device
A number of "tips" are available:
- NODE+ Chroma - color detection sensor
- NODE+ Motion - gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetometer
- NODE+ CO2 - carbon dioxide sensor
- NODE+ Thermocouple - K type probe sensor
- NODE+ Therma - infrared thermometer (temperature sensor)
- NODE+ OXA - gas sensor
- NODE+ LUMA - programmable flashlight
- NODE+ CLIMA - barometric pressure, room temperature, ambient light and humidity
- NODE+ BARCODE - wireless barcode reader
- NODE+ IO - GPIO extender for electronics projects
While the device seems to be more of a handheld operated device paired
with a smartphone (also, seems only one tip at a time can be used) it has
the potential to have a number of interesting uses within many industries.
The goal is to entice developers to explore the field and see what they can
produce and get started with sensor collection.
The judges for the contest include such luminaries as Steve Wozniak,
Amar Kona of Intel, Tiffanie Robinson of Waypaver and Sheldon Grizzle of